Dear Colleagues,

In order to increase the community of people working, at least part-time,
on Linear Collider physics projects, we planned to hold tutorials on the
LCD software at SLAC, Fermilab, and Cornell.  The SLAC tutorial has now
been scheduled with the approval of the BaBar management.  The date is

 Thursday, November 11   (at SLAC)

I attach below the note sent to the BaBar collaboration by Stewart Smith.

The tutorial at Cornell has been scheduled by the CLEO management for

 Thursday, January 20    (at Cornell)

The Fermilab tutorial has not yet been scheduled, but Paul Grannis intends
that it happen soon, at an appropriate time in the Circle Line Tours
lecture series (see accompanying note).

If it is convenient for you to come to SLAC and you feel you might benefit
from the Nov. 11 tutorial, please feel welcome.  There is plenty of room
at least for the lecture portion of the presentation.  The announcement
for the tutorial can be found on the Web page:

  http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/LC/tutorial.html

If you have colleagues who might benefit, please spread the word!

                                Best wishes,

                                      Michael

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

distribution: bbr_member
Dear BaBar colleagues,

Michael Peskin has asked me to pass on to you the following message
concerning  upcoming activities sponsored by the  U.S. linear collider
physics working group.  Although it's clear that for the foreseeable BaBar is
going to need all the care and feeding we can provide, the long term future of
our field is obviously also of great  importance, and this future depends on
strong community involvement. I hope you will be able to participate.

Best regards,
Stewart Smith

Dear BaBar Collaboration members:

The American linear collider physics working group headed by Charlie Baltay
and Paul Grannis is planning to hold a major community meeting at LBL in
early March.  This will be a step toward the next international linear
collider physics meeting, which will be held at Fermilab in October 2000 and
will include contributions from the American, European, and Asian working
groups. We strongly encourage members of BABAR to participate in these
meetings, and in the physics studies that they support.

Over the past year, a group at SLAC led by Richard Dubois has created a
simulation software package for NLC physics studies, and the members of the
American working group have used this package to perform some basic physics
analyses. Thus, software tools are available for groups that would like to
begin projects in NLC physics.

To introduce the BABAR community to the NLC physics issues and tools, we have
scheduled a tutorial for BABAR, to be held on NOVEMBER 11.  The agenda for
this tutorial is given below.  We hope that it will be convenient for
interested BABAR collaborators to attend this tutorial.

The agenda for the tutorial is as follows:

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 11

   10:30 - 12:30    SLAC Panofsky Auditorium

      1.  Linear Collider physics issues and detector concepts
      2.  Full-simulation software and data archives
      3.  Physics analysis tools
      4.  Tools for fast simulation
      5.  Issues for detector hardware R&D

   1:30 - 3:30     SLAC Computing Center Training Room

       hands-on tutorial on the LC analysis tools

We hope to see you there!

Michael Peskin