 The local group here at SLAC met this morning to review the state of
preparations for the next round of Monte Carlo for the S2 and L2
detector definitions.

 It is likely that there will be a tutorial given at SLAC on Nov 11
targetted at BABAR. This colours our plans somewhat.  We are still in
the middle of code upgrades that will prove beneficial down the road:

 o much better/flexible parameters handling
 o new I/O scheme
 o revised calorimeter tower IDs
 o new geometries for VXD cryostat, beampipe & mask calorimeters

 However it appears that we will not be able to get this reliably ready
in time for Nov 11. So we are planning to get the existing code packaged
for the S1 & L1 designs, but with all the known bugs fixed. Well, except
for the Linux NaN bug. More on that later.

 We are creating a test suite for the releases and will run it on the
current code version. After it is verified we will run off some datasets
(S,L) for interim use. Contact Tony Waite ([log in to unmask]) for
getting the current code.

 Then we will get back onto the next release, finishing it and running
it through the test suite. In the meantime, the S2 and L2 dimensions are
getting finalized in conjunction with the tracking and calorimeter
groups.

 Note on the Linux NaN bug: it is a legit compiler bug. No gnu compiler
works with it. For the moment, the only actions we can take are to turn
optimization off or buy a commercial gcc compiler from Cygnus. On the
bright side, someone has been able to isolate this bug in a reproducible
snippet and has reported it.

 We are taking a hit on our manpower here at SLAC, so things will be
slower. Sorry about that... we will be asking for help getting code to
run on the various operating systems.

Richard
--
Richard Dubois